So in the very bottom you should see a pic of my desk. It took me about 2 days to set everything up, since the day I entered the studio only the G5, monitor, ext HDD and AJA Io were connected (But the AJA had nothing connected to it).
The equipment's was set-up be self-sufficient, without the need of external equipment outside my office (In other words, there should be no need for bumping, dubbing, or any other tasks out of the equipment in the desk). Also, the equipment was bought to handle large uncompressed video files, audio files, captures, exports, compositing, motion graphics, CG work, editing, DVD authoring. So, everything is top of the line.
Here's the setup:
We use Betas as our video source (no DVs here... DVs are the devil's tool!). I capture uncompressed video footage via a Beta deck that also captures DigiBeta, Beta SX, MPEG IMX, and of course SP. It also has the slot ready for pancake tapes. It brings in video as Uncompressed Video 8-bit 4:2:2 and it reads it in either PAL or NTSC, via an SDI signal, so I dont need conversions from the deck or an additional audio output.
The signal from the Beta deck goes either to:
1) Beta SP VTR (via a composite signal). This was set-up, so whenever someone needed to dub from Digi to SP they could do it right there without the need to capture in the G5 (I have the only Digi deck in the studio) Since the Digi Deck can take either PAL/NTSC, but the VTR did not (only NTSC), we had to get a video converter (Digi (PAL/NTSC) > Composite > Converter (PAL/NTSC) > Composite > VTR (NTSC only). The audio signal goes from the Digi deck via XLR's cables into an Audio Mixer which outputs into the Beta SP VTR also via the Mixer's Main Outputs which are also XLR's
2) Mac G5. Video (and deck) is captured remotely via a 9-Pin RS422 controller from the Digi Deck's SDI signal through the ALA Io's firewire into the G5, which is then stored into an external HDD. External HDD is my scratch disk. I dont use G5's HDD to capture anything at all. For some reason, the RS422 controller stopped working... I have no idea why >_< But no biggie, since I always controlled the Digi Deck with the shuttle anyway.
DigiBeta Deck does not record video. It only outputs.
I also have a VCR. This goes into the AJA Io from a RCA Video connection into a Composite signal. Audio signal (L&R) go from RCA Audio to 1/4 inch into the AJA Io (AES/EBU). I started by using Super VHS (S-Video), but the connection started getting grainy during capture o.0 No one has any idea why
DVD Player. I do not have one, but when I need to capture something from DVD, it goes directly to the Beta VTR via an S-Video connection with audio going from RCA Audio (L&R) to Audio Mixer to Main Outputs to VTR via XLR's.
The AJA Io, outputs into the VCR and the Beta via different lines.
1) Into the VCR from AJA Io using an S-Video connection. Audio going out from the AJA Io into Audio Mixer using XLR's and from Mixer to VCR using 1/4 inch to RCA Audio (L&R)
2) Into the Beta VTR using a Component connection (RGB). Audio going from AJA Io into Audio Mixer into Beta VTR all using XLR's
I have a Multiformat Engine and Monitor which I use as my NTSC monitor. This connects to the AJA Io Composite output. Engine contains PAL/NTSC, WS (16:9), HD, SD, Blue Only, Mono, VGA, several BNC connections (Composite/Component) and one 12-pin component connection.
Only problems so far with this set up are
1) RS422 controller. I really dont know why. I can capture fine, but not remotely.
2) VCR giving problems when capturing as it gives audio and video glitches. But this is due, I believe, to the recording and not the equipment. I need further testing on this.